Green onions and broccoli are harvested from the Old Schoolhouse garden. Kids get an education on organic farming, food sustainability, composting and environmental stewardship from Raphael Al Kemi, master gardener, who laid out and framed the beginning garden beds to teach students. The seeds were initially planted by members of the Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority as shown in the video below.
Alpha Kappa Alpha volunteers did marvelous work in planting flowers, shrubs and vegetables to beautify the Old Espanola Schoolhouse- as part of the Day of Service- sponsored by the Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority – Chi Delta Omega Chapter – Flagler County. The once dour exterior was transformed into an attractive entrance way, and an outside fountain was ringed with fresh, growing plants. Click to see video..
At the side of the building, the 3-section garden plot laid out originally by horticulturalist Raphael Al Kemi was prepped using his light chemical, organic approach. This involved using lots of cow manure, at which some citified youth balked. But AKA volunteers led the way, digging in broccoli and onions. The sterling AKA effort involves not only visual beauty but education as well on the importance of ecology and sustainable organic agriculture. All in all it was a great day for green power.
Using an organic garden at the Old Schoolhouse to build appreciation for healthy, sustainable lifestyles.
A young seeker of knowledge gains…
Community cleanup , litter and trash removal one paper wrapper and bottle at a time, by the town’s youth, the NolaCrewe, of All-Kids_Are-First. Despite broken glass, biting bugs and sweltering heat, they got the job done, while learning something about nature, love, responsibility and education.
- All contributions, in cash or in kind are fully deductible. The Old Schoolhouse is part of a 501(c)3 charitable organization. All are welcome.
- Your donation earns good advertising exposure in the community, including positive placement on websites, YouTube, blogs and Facebook.
- Special events (car washes, open houses, etc) will feature prominent logo placement and flyer distribution for your business
- Students help you or your organization personally- from lawn service to parking lot cleanup.
- Businesses that donate will be patronized first before others.